stds-80220-requirements: Marking Requirements

Title: Next Conference call
Folk-

We ran out of time during the telephone call to fully discuss the marking of requirements.  I would like to identify those requirements that are specifically for FDD, those for TDD and those that apply to both.  We should also mark those requirements than are goals, optional, and those that are required.

I have read, created and implemented both well and poorly written requirement documents.  A poorly written document leaves the reader with sentences that could or could not be a requirement.  For example-

"A good document shall be readable."

Question- how does one determine if the document is "readable"?  Clearly this is a goal, since it is not quantifiable.  But if the author (or requestor) immediately realizes the ambiquity, there is time to rewrite the requirement to correctly reflect the intention.  If we wait to mark the requirements, we leave the door open to rehash the discussion, after we thought the requirement document was closed.

I believe each author of  a requirement should mark the requirement when it's proposed.

alan chickinsky