From: owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Jim Mollenauer
Sent: 08 October 2003 20:04
To: Geoff Anderson
Cc: 'Gang Wu'; stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org
Subject: Re: stds-80220-requirements: Definition of "air interface"

I respectfully disagree.  A protocol and an interface are not the same thing.  A protocol specifies what happens when, and generally involves several information transfers across one or more interfaces.  An interface is the boundary between two entities, across which information may flow according to some protocol.

The term "air interface" emphasizes that we are standardizing the information flow through the air between two systems, and not across some internal wired interface within one of the systems.  Calling it a "radio link" is confusing: does that imply link layer or physical layer?

Let's keep "air interface".

Jim Mollenauer

Geoff Anderson wrote:

I think Jim Tomcik had discussed a term Radio Link Protocol, or RLP during the San Francisco meeting.  After replacing Air Link with Radio Link or Radio Link Protocol in the document and then re-reading, it seems to make much more sense.

I would agree with Alan’s 10/2 proposal to remove Air Interface and replace with Radio Link or Radio Link Protocol where it makes sense.  Also this decision would carry forward to all documents of 802.20, as Alan proposed.

geoff

Geoffrey T. Anderson

45 Roe Avenue

Cornwall on Hudson, NY  12520-1403