From: ext Phillip Barber [mailto:pbarber@emobiletech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:07 PM
To: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Cc: Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1; Prakash Iyer; Williams Michael.G
(Nokia-ES/MtView)
Subject: Re: [802.21] 802.21: Scope

802.16g is authorized to work on this.

802.16g's PAR was essentially formulated to provide four authorized
functions:

	1) to provide revision to the 802.16 reference model to bring
management into scope;
	2) to provide management and control primitives, triggers and
any necessary information elements to support all features and
functions--including mobility (though in 802.16, mobility is currently
only defined for intra-802.16, intra-operator mobility)--in the 802.16
family of standards. Think authentication, admission, accounting,
security, mobility management, radio resource management, idle mode
management, service provisioning, etc..
	3) provide those other management and control MAC and PHY
feature and function enhancements necessary to support the management
and control of 802.16 devices, especially as they relate to enabling the
existing defined features and functions in the 802.16 family of
standards. Not established to create all new features and functions,
especially those not specifically directed at enabling previously
existing features or functions. But if something was determined to be
broken from the standpoint that it could not be enabled to work with the
network, we can amend the use in 802.16 to make it work. But expect
802.16 to be very cautious in moving down such a path. The rule is we
are here to make existing stuff work, not to redo.
	4) to act as the repository and implement changes requested by
802.21 to support heterogeneous technology handovers (though whether
that could be stretched to also include 802.21 handling of intra-802.16,
inter-operator mobility is questionable; depends on the 802.21 PAR).

That is quite a bit.

I hope this helps frame 802.21 scope discussion.

Speaking purely as a member of 802.16, I am not sure that it is terribly
wise from a project focus and completion standpoint for 802.21 to
bite-off solving every groups basic mobility problem. Probably best to
have 802.21 solve its heterogeneous piece and give the required changes
over to the individual air interface technology groups to implement. If
in implementing, the groups have to solve more fundamental questions
regarding mobility, authentication, security, etc..., these groups are
probably closer to their own technology and better equipped to handle
it.

Just my two cents.

Thanks,
Phillip Barber