RE: [802.21] [DNA] Prefix information for link identification in DNA

Peretz, sorry if I'm slow here, but I have absolutely no idea why you derive from Srini statement that MIP cannot use MIH triggers. Can you explain it? I think you have a specific idea in mind that apparently does not match our understanding. Until we have the basic model in common we will never converge in this discussion. To me, Srini's statement does not at all exclude MIP from being an MIH user.
Stefano

________________________________

From: ext Peretz Feder [mailto:pfeder@LUCENT.COM]
Sent: Fri 9/30/2005 11:04 AM
To: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802.21] [DNA] Prefix information for link identification in DNA

On 9/30/2005 11:49 AM, Srinivas.Sreemanthula@nokia.com wrote:

>OK, good we cleared that.
>
>We are doing inter-tech (or iinter-subnet) handovers of IP services, so
>the UE already has the IP connectivity both to current and target (via
>current).

Think MIP. It gets a trigger from MIH to switch over into an alternate
ethnology which then assigns the IP through MIP interaction. By saying
MIH is available after IP is assigned you killed MIP as a user.
Eliminating MIP as an MIH user is a fatal mistake for 802.21, as MIP is
the numero uno MM user IMO.

>On the issue of performance, It all depends on the specific handover
>scenario and procedure you are referring to.  Another related issue is
>the relative performance gains between implementing L2 MIH vs L3 MIH. If
>the IP services handover delay constraints can be met with L3 MIH, I
>don't need the additional 10ms improvement with the L2 MIH.

Think MIP again. It detects movement when FA advertises. It can take
minutes no msecs.