UE has connectivity to current but the the target BS can still send a beacon over the MAC/PHY addressed to the UE MIH which in turns nudges the MIP user to switch over. Way before target IP is established. Same for the BER trigger (on the alternate preferred technology) as seen by the target BS crossing the proper threshold. Such (preferred) event should cause MIP client to change over and establish a connection over the target.

So again, ok for PoA over L3 but as a fall back to the lack of PoA over L2. Most of the technology specific PHY triggers are L1/L2 native. Yes some (not all) can be transported over L3, but it is a slow transport for the task at hand. Also please don't forget we have pre authenticated triggers, they can only be L2 centric.

Peretz Feder

On 9/30/2005 12:10 PM, Stefano M. Faccin wrote:
Peretz, sorry if I'm slow here, but I have absolutely no idea why you derive from Srini statement that MIP cannot use MIH triggers. Can you explain it? I think you have a specific idea in mind that apparently does not match our understanding. Until we have the basic model in common we will never converge in this discussion. To me, Srini's statement does not at all exclude MIP from being an MIH user.
Stefano

________________________________

From: ext Peretz Feder [mailto:pfeder@LUCENT.COM]
Sent: Fri 9/30/2005 11:04 AM
To: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802.21] [DNA] Prefix information for link identification in DNA

On 9/30/2005 11:49 AM, Srinivas.Sreemanthula@nokia.com wrote:

OK, good we cleared that.

We are doing inter-tech (or iinter-subnet) handovers of IP services, so
the UE already has the IP connectivity both to current and target (via
current).

Think MIP. It gets a trigger from MIH to switch over into an alternate
ethnology which then assigns the IP through MIP interaction. By saying
MIH is available after IP is assigned you killed MIP as a user.
Eliminating MIP as an MIH user is a fatal mistake for 802.21, as MIP is
the numero uno MM user IMO.

On the issue of performance, It all depends on the specific handover
scenario and procedure you are referring to.  Another related issue is
the relative performance gains between implementing L2 MIH vs L3 MIH. If
the IP services handover delay constraints can be met with L3 MIH, I
don't need the additional 10ms improvement with the L2 MIH.

Think MIP again. It detects movement when FA advertises. It can take
minutes no msecs.