Re: [802.21] [DNA] Prefix information for link identification in DNA

Andrea has a good example of an L3 link that consists of 802.11 link
and Ethernet link, so let me discuss based on the example.

Obviously there can be multiple UEs attached to the same AP something
like:

         802.11 link            Ethernet link
UE1--------------------- AP ------------------- AR
                       / /
UE2-------------------+ /
                       /
UE3------------------+

Do you call UE2 and UE3 "L3 PoAs of UE1" just because they are
adjacent nodes for UE1 in terms of L3?  I have a problem with calling
UE2 and UE3 as PoAs because UE1 is not really attaching to UE2 and
UE3.  In fact, there is no notion of attaching to a particular node in
IP (though there is a notion of attaching to a network in DNA WG), so
I think it is hard to have an agreement on bringing the notion of PoA
to IP layer which is not defined in the IETF.

Please see my further comment below.

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:50:46PM -0400, Andrea Francini wrote:
> [...]
> exchange MIH-related information (for any of the three MIH services).
>
> Can a single definition of PoA address both needs at the same time? I don't
> think so, because a single definition cannot capture all possible combinations
> (in particular, it cannot provide a good distinction between the cases where MIH
> is immediately available at the AP/BS and where it is only available deeper
> inside the network). This is why I thought that it made sense to have a general
> notion of PoA (the first point in the network from which the UE obtains a
> certain service) and then further qualify it with the appropriate attributes
> (L2, L3, and MIH are the ones that I originally considered relevant in the
> 802.21 context; TCP can be another one).
>
> Still in general terms, being the PoA the first point in the network that the UE
> can use as a peer for message exchanges related to a certain service, defining
> the entity that exists between UE and PoA with respect to that service is the
> next step. I thought that "link" could be a good term, although I realize more
> and more that "link" has a strong L2 connotation that may not be easy to relax.

> Whatever term we use, it must convey the notion that the UE and the PoA are next
> to each other on it, otherwise the PoA is no longer "the first point in the
> network". I used "adjacent" in the definition of link, with the idea that the
> adjancency is not necessarily physical, but only logical within the same context
> in which the service obtained from the PoA is defined.
>
> Think for example of a network of routers that is built on top of a network of
> ATM switches. I consider two routers adjacent if they are on IP hop away from
> each other, independently of the number of ATM switches that exist in the
> physical path between them. Similarly in 802.21, two L3 entities are adjacent if
> no other L3 entity exists in between, independently of the number of L2 segments
> (or "L2 links") that connect them.
>
> In a situation like the following:
>

>         802.11 link            Ethernet link
> UE --------------------- AP ------------------- AR
>

> how can we capture the fact that the Access Router (AR) is the first L3 entity
> in the access network path of the UE?
>
> With the definitions I proposed, the 802.11 and Ethernet links are L2 links, the
> AP includes the L2 PoA for the UE, the AR includes the L3 PoA for the UE, and an
> L3 link exists between the UE and the AR (of course only after the UE has
> obtained its IP address).
>
> If the 802.11 interface on the AP is MIH-capable, the AP also includes the MIH
> PoA for the UE, independently of the MIH capabilities of the AR. If only the
> Ethernet interface on the AR is MIH-capable, the AR includes the MIH PoA.

> With the definitions I proposed, every entity of the example gets an unambiguous
> name. I don't have any problem with changing the names or the wording of the
> definitions, but I still want to have a name for each of the entities. Any other

I think that unambiguous naming is also possible even if we call the
immediate L2 link to UE as "link", and the end point of the immediate
L2 link as "PoA", for example:

  If the 802.11 interface on the AP is MIH-capable, we can call the AP
  the MIH PoA (or MIH AP) for the UE, independently of the MIH
  capabilities of the
  AR.  If only the Ethernet interface on the AR is MIH-capable, we can
  call the AR the MIH AR.

On the other hand, regardless of which direction we take (i.e.,
defining link and PoA for each layer vs. defining link and PoA for L2
only), definition of the "immediate L2 link for the UE" still depends
on each media, e.g., a PDP context can be the immediate L2 link for
GPRS, and an association between a STA and an AP can be the immediate
L2 link in 802.11, etc.  I think this is more important thing to
consider.

> With respect to your specific concerns:
>
> > I think the link between two adjacent layer 3 entities is actually a layer 2 link. To me, the > purpose of any link at layer N is to provide a PDU transfer service to layer N+1.
>
> Do you mean that two layer-3 entities are adjacent only if they are connected by
> a single L2 link, i.e., only if no other L2 node exists between the respective
> L2 interfaces? What term could then be applied to the two L2 interfaces to
> express the fact that no other L2 node exists between them?
>
> In the IP-over-ATM example, two neighboring routers can be attached to ATM nodes
> that are connected by a single ATM VC or by a chain of ATM VC's. With my
> definition of adjacency, the two routers are adjacent in both cases (i.e.,
> neighboring = L3-adjacent). Would it be the same with your definition?
>
> I'm not trying to say that they should necessarily be called adjacent, but to
> understand how your definition would apply to the example.
>
> > If you took your definitions as they are, then the layer 3 link coming up would not allow TCP > or UDP to flow - you'd still have to wait for IP address assignment - and that sounds wrong to > me.
>
> I think it should be implicit to have IP addresses in place before an L3 link
> can exist. If the implication is not clear, an explicit statement can be easily
> added.

For IP, just having an IP address is not sufficient to claim that
there is L3 connectivity between an UE and an IP node on the same IP
link.  In IPv6 Neighbor Discovery protocol (RFC 2461), at least there
must be a neighbor cache entry for the communicating node with
"REACHABLE" state to *roughly* claim that the node is reachable
(within ten seconds ago).

Regards,

Yoshihiro Ohba