RE: [802.21] [DNA] Prefix information for link identification in DNA

Yoshihiro Ohba,

> Such a generalized term could be useful only when 802.21 really needs
> to deal with all of those "links" at different layers.

I agree with you that the final 802.21 document wouldn't have such a generalised definition.  But I think it's often useful for a group to have a more generalised view of how they fit into the overall architecture, and then derive their particular components from that generalised view.

So it helps in coming up with a definition of a layer 2 link if you have a vision of what the definition of a "layer N link" would be.  It's likely that "layer 2 link" will have some unique features that aren't derived from the definition of a layer N link, but the layer N link definition is a good start.

> (But probably this is somewhat a philosophical debate..)

Those are the most fun!

Mike.