FW: [Mipshop] new charter

Dear 802.21 members,

based on these objections from Ajoy I realize that there may still be a lot of dissention and confusion. I think it would be useful if 802.21 members were vocal on the MIPSHO WG mailing list to indicate whether you are interested or not in the MIPSHOP WG to adopt a charter that enables MIPSHOP to work on 802.21-related aspects taking input from 802.21 in terms of requirements and scenarios. As usual, in IETF the decision will be made based on rough consensus of the participants to the IETF discussion, not based e.g. on any decision made in 802.21 as a group. E.g. even if 802.21 decided that something needs to be done in a given WG in IETF, this is not sufficient for the work to actually happen in the IETF WG. However, the members of 802.21 may express their opinion as individuals, and the opinion may match what has been decided in 802.21. Therefore opinions would be very useful, and I would suggest submitting your opinions ASAP. 802.21 has a great opportunity with the MIPSHO!
 P rechartering to create a recipient ready to take 802.21 requirements and carry out the work 802.21 needs to be done (no matter what such work is). It would be much more difficult to get the IETF to recharter MIPSHOP or another WG later on just for 802.21 needs.

Please find the charter as it is being proposed at http://www.geocities.com/gabriel_montenegro_2000/mipshop-charter.htm.

Ajoy, by the way, either the secretary in 802.21 got the discussion wrong, or perhaps you read more than there is in what was actually discussed. I'm basing my comments on the minutes of September 22:

"2.3.1.	Comment: From the point of IEEE 802 wireless as a group to IETF, all the protocols on the table should be evaluated and selected in the same way, not only one specific protocol. Response: Just help people to understand what has been done in IETF. "

"2.3.3.	Ajay: In principle, 802.21 and IEEE can take a look at IETF protocols and evaluate them. We do not preclude the evaluation process. Whether the protocol is CARD or not is a different issue. "

To me this in now way says that 802.21 as a group has decided to consider existing IETF protocols before deciding what is required from IETF. To my understanding the minutes state that 802.21 may evaluate IETF protocols and make recommendations to IETF, but we did not decide to put on hold the requirements for IETF until such protocol evaluation is done. Ajay, what is your understanding?

Stefano