Re: [802.3_100GEL] [802.3ck] max_wait_timer comment #18 on Agenda for 18 March telephonic meeting

Glad we’re getting some mileage out of 802.3bq work.  😊

The final version of that preso was delivered in the March’14 meeting:

http://ieee802.org/3/bq/public/mar14/cibula_3bq_03a_0314.pdf

As the 802.3ck comment 18 mentions, two timers are related: link fail inhibit in the Arb machine, max wait in the PMD control machine.

To recap some of the points in Pete’s presentation:

  • This presentation is from the perspective of the user, as measured performance.  It is not input from PHY designers on what the value should be.
  • There is an end user impact to link establishment time.  Impact and target times will vary by application.  Looking to an extreme example in other projects, the automotive PHYs need an option to bring link up in ~1/4sec, because people expect their cars to work as soon as they turn the key.
  • The value of these timers is not what we end user sees as the link up time.  This is because if the timers are violated, the flow in the state machines is to restart autoneg and try again.  Thus it is compliant to have to go through this process multiple times before finally bringing link up.
  • Even though the timers in 10G/25GBASE-T are on the order of 2 sec, many implementations take longer, whether it is due to implementation-specific tasks outside of these timers (loading FW, running calibrations, etc.) or due to multiple passes through ANEG required to bring up a particular link.
  • From a server NIC perspective, long link times are problematic in that:
  • Servers do get reset, or link speeds changed periodically
  • OS/driver cert tests in particular cause many resets and expect link to be up in a reasonable time.
  • Long, variable link times wreak havoc in systems with multiple NICs trying to implement link aggregation.

From my observation, BASE-T products / link combinations that cannot get link with these timers rely on multiple passes through ANEG.

Also from my observation, some other product categories get around these timers simply by disabling them.

Some input from the PHY developers on what is a feasible time budget would be useful.