From: owner-stds-802-3-10gbt@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-10gbt@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of
sugawara@necelam.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 7:43 PM
To: stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Subject: [10GBASE-T] RE: PAR and 5 critters

Hello, everyone,

I believe it is not easy but doable job to realize 10G base-T analog
frontend based on my previous experiences.

In ISSCC '97,'99, and '01, we demonstrated this kind of technology
for HDD readchannel devices. The '01 paper described 2.5years ago;
  700MHz, 11 level detection (equivalent to 11PAM) by ADC with
  sample & hold,
  compensating channel responses by combined 7th order analog filter
  and 8tap digital filter,
  connected to a Viter Bi detection,
  using 0.18um BiCMOS.
This is an old technology.

Now 90nm process is available and 65nm and beyond will be popular
in 2006 when 10G Base-T will be standardized.
In the time, even CMOS can be designed at much higher speed
operation.

We can use over sampling technology to earn more effective bits, at
least. We can use analog cancellation mentioned by Dr. Spencer in
July plenary, as well as frequency response compensation above.
These are some design options.

At this time, do we need more investigation for analog frontend ?

Mitsutoshi SUGAWARA
NEC Electronics America Inc.
Director Analog Engineering