RE: [10GBASE-T] latency

Gavin and Serag

Gavin, thanks for that overview of the PAUSE functionality. One question
I have is does anyone know if PAUSE is implemented end-to-end or
hop-by-hop in an Ethernet connection between source and sink via one or
more switches? Also, what is the primary method of flow control when the
following scenario occurs?

machine A <-- Speed A --> Switch <-- Speed B --> Server

My concern is if speed A is < Speed B (e.g. A=1000BASE-T and
B=10GBASE-T) and we use PAUSE to ensure flow control then 10GBASE-T may
have to include PAUSE. If not then buffers in the switch will overflow
when machine A requests a large amount of data from the server. Perhaps
flow control in a switch with multi-speed ports is handled using
something other than PAUSE? I am assuming this is a low level switch and
TCP is not used to do flow control, is this correct?

RDMA considerations are a concern. It's sure to desire as low a latency
as possible. I believe there is a CFI scheduled for March? As Gavin
pointed out we have some headroom thanks to the maximum link length in
wireline versus optical. This headroom is about 8000 baud periods
(assuming a 833 MHz clock). However perhaps RDMA applications will
require link lengths a lot less than 3Km.

However is a low-latency PHY that consumes a lot of power any more
attractive than a higher-latency PHY that consumes less than half that
amount?

Regards

Stephen

--

Dr. Stephen Bates

Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering      Phone: +1 780 492 2691
The University of Alberta                         Fax:   +1 780 492 1811
Edmonton                                     www.ece.ualberta.ca/~sbates
Canada, T6G 2V4                            stephen.bates@ece.ualberta.ca