Re: [10GBT] My final wrap-up presentation

Jeff,

Brad can probably add a lot more but here's my response -

1) Yes, guidance from Brad as to how the larger 802.3 body will view it is that it needs to be "single" PHY

2) The selection will be done by voting at the task force and the voters include PHY vendors, cabling/connector vendors, system vendors and many others so it is not just PHY vendors

3) I would like to see the multiple PHY proposers come together and put a consensus proposal on the table. If this happens we will check if there is >75% support and if there is, we have the basis of developing Draft 1.0 even though all the details you list may not have been worked out.

4) In the absence of #3, what gets selected depends on how people vote.

5) One set of channel models has been provided via the reflector. A few others will be provided soon.

I think all of the factors you suggest in your bullet list are probably being weighed by the participants and will factor in how they vote though the importance they attach to each item in you list probably varies significantly from individual to individual.

I highly recommend that interested parties ask for the information relevant to them either via the reflector or via other means.

As for item #3 in the above list,  I think the six proposals currently on the table have many similarities among them and I would encourage the proposers to see if they can reach consensus to come up with a common proposal. To summarize what I had mentioned earlier in my wrap up presentation, five of the six proposals are based on PAM. Five of the six are based on LDPC codes. There are differences in baud rate but these are small and I can see this and a number of other issues being resolved over time and possibly even after Draft 1.0.

If your proposal is on the wrong side of the majority on either of these fronts, you either need to be working really hard to convince others to change their minds or the chances that you will get to 75% are really low. Please note that my statement is not based on any philosophical belief that the majority is always "right". My statement is a reflection of how the process in the IEEE works, if >75% of the task force believes something is better, it will be accepted.

Sanjay

sanjay@teranetics.com
cell (650) 704-7686
office (408) 653-2235