Re: [8023-10GEPON] FW: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] ad hoc group meeting - CORRECTE D

Although I haven't looked at the ITU-T slides yet, both versions of the
802.3 slides seem to be very similar.

For reference, I'll also point to Figure 2 of this paper:
http://literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5988-5908EN.pdf.

The above paper shows both the power in OMA and in dBm, which is one of the
differences in the two slides.  It also shows the differences between the
stressed receiver sensitivity and nominal receiver sensitivity.  Another
difference is that in Mike's slide, he adds in some unallocated margin.

Perhaps someone else can chime in on the history behind this, but it looks
like there was some unallocated margin ("additional insertion loss allowed")
provided for 10GBASE-S, 10GBASE-E, and 10GBASE-LX4 links.  For 10GBASE-L,
there is none specified.  As best I can tell, no additional loss was defined
for 1000BASE-PX links.  Does anyone have a better understanding of this?

Right now, the spreadsheet adds three variables to determine the total
channel insertion loss:

ChIL = Penalty from connections + Penalty AddIn Loss + Fiber attenuation

By varying these three items, you can get the maximum channel insertion loss
up to 29dB.  Note that right now, the only AddIn Loss (cell L8) is that of
the splitter.

The power budget, as calculated by the spreadsheet, is a function of only
two values:

Power Budget = Tx Power (OMA) - Rx Sensitivity (OMA)

However, we also know that the power budget is a function of the channel
insertion loss and all of the other penalties:

Power Budget = ChIL + All other Penalties

If we start by fixing at least one of these values, such as the Channel
Insertion Loss, it will certainly help narrow down what is left.

- Eric Lynskey