Od: Glen Kramer [mailto:glen.kramer@TEKNOVUS.COM]
Wysłano: Cz 2/1/2007 5:57
Do: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Temat: Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] Min code gain requirement

Raymond,

The power budget ad hoc understands that they need to provide the required
coding gain to the FEC group. However, it would take them some time to
analyze various proposals and find the proper balance between what they can
achieve in the optical domain and what help they need from FEC.

The basic organizational question  here is do we do everything serially
(like wait for PMD group to give us the required FEC gain before we start
working on FEC format, and after that start thinking about sub-rating vs.
super-rating)...
... or try to parallelize activities to the extent possible.

There are some things that we can decide without having the exact gain
requirement set. For example, we may discuss format of FEC codewords and
synchronization procedures (even though ratio of parity to payload may
change as a result of choosing a different coding scheme later).

We also can make a fairly reasonable assumption that FEC will result in
additional overhead (in other words, that we would need something stronger
then what backplane specified).  Then, independently of the other tasks, we
may discuss whether in general the group prefers sub-rating MAC or
super-rating PHY.

I treat it as iterative process where we would continuously refine the
features as we go forward.

Regards,
Glen