[8023-10GEPON] Detailed Upstream FEC Framing proposal

All,

Following the discussion in Monterey and on the reflector, please find
attached slides providing more details about the Effenberger-Kramer proposal
that was initially presented in Monterey
(http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/public/2007_01/3av_0701_effenberger_1.pdf).

These additional slides show how FEC synchronization and Data Detector state
machine may look like.

During a discussion in Monterey, someone expressed a concern that inserting
sync sequence in the Data Detector's FIFO in parallel is ok as a model, but
is not how one would implement it. Someone else (Duane?) suggested that it
could be done serially, by simply counting how many sync blocks were
inserted. This also was very easy to reflect in the state machine, so it was
done.

I think it is very important to properly position this presentation and
explain my involvement.

1) This proposal does not imply that FEC is mandatory or optional.

2) This proposal does not focus on a specific FEC coding scheme, though
RS(255, 239) was assumed as a reference.

3) This proposal does not assume PHY super-rating or MAC sub-rating - it can
be adapted for either approach.

4) And finally, this presentation does not insist that this is the only
possible way to specify the FEC framing.

The aim of this presentation, and my main motivation for remaining involved
with it, is to show an example of a fairly complete and consistent proposal.
I hope that author and supporters of the other two proposals reviewed in
Monterey would also continue on this path and provide more details about
their envisioned methods. I strongly believe that looking at each proposal
at such level of detail would clearly show many similarities and clarify the
remaining differences that, in the end, will all aid in finding a harmonized
solution.

My involvement with this presentation should be viewed as a contribution by
an individual task force participant, and the proposal should not be treated
as having any special status.

Best regards,
Glen

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail expresses my views as an individual contributor to
the task force, not as task force chair.

FEC_alignment_v02.pdf