[8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] FEC question follow-up from 2/6 Ad Hoc Call

All,

There was a discussion in the 2/7 9AM Power Budget Ad Hoc call about how APD
vs. PIN at the Rx affects coding gain from FEC.

I would like FEC experts to clarify what is the coding gain expected in the
case of an APD and a PIN PD?

Do the 3 (or 4) dB numbers people have been quoting apply to the PIN case,
and therefore APD is higher? If so, how much?

Or does the 3 (or 4) dB number we have been quoting apply to the APD case,
and therefore PIN is lower?  If so, how much?

We are using a 3-4 dB assumption in evaluating power budgets - how do we
properly apply that number in the case of up- and downstream cases, with APD
/ PIN options?

Robert

Robert Lingle, Jr.
Fiber Design and Transmission Simulation
OFS Corporate R&D, Atlanta
404-886-3581 (cell)
770-798-5015 (office)