Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] SOA/PIN for 10G/1G OLT receiver

Dear Dr. Piehler;

Thank you for your interesting presentation material, and I appreciate
that it clarifies me your idea about SOA preamplifier receiver for OLT.
I would like to make some comments on your slides.

1. Receiver sensitivity at BER 10-12 (p.8)
In page.6 it is indicated that your calculations are made at the BER
of 10-9, or Q=6.  But as I have already commented, receiver sensitivities
should be discussed here at the BER of 10-12, or Q=7.
In the attached file I added my image of 10-12 BER with polarization
dependency degradation over your figure.   And I still cannot see a
difference from the APD receiver.
Anyway I hope your figure will be revised and your experiment results
will be measured at BER of 10-12.

2. SOA gain deviation and dynamic range (p.9)
The total gain deviation of the SOA, from the SOA input to the PIN
receiver input, should be allocated for SOA gain margin.
In addition to the SOA chip gain deviation at production and lifetime
degradation, input and output optical coupling, and also the special
filter loss fluctuations should be counted in the practical applications.
These will be summed up to a significant number and reduce easily
the OLT dynamic range.

I appreciate further discussions and comments.

Best regards
Hiroshi Hamano
Fujitsu Labs. Ltd.

%% David Piehler <dpiehler@ALPHION.COM>
%% Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER_BUDGET] SOA/PIN for 10G/1G OLT receiver
%% Thu, 10 May 2007 04:55:43 -0400

> All, Please see attached file which addresses issues raised in the email
> and teleconference discussions.
>
> I will plan to present this material as well as experimental results at
> the upcoming study group meeting in Geneva.
>
> Please let me know if there are other issues to be addressed. I look
> forward to any comments.
>
> Thanks!
>
> David
>

> David Piehler