From: Lingle, Jr, Robert (Robert) [mailto:rlingle@OFSOPTICS.COM]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:13 PM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER BUDGET] resolving differences over PIN
vs. APD

All,

As chair noted in his email of 6/12, please recall the discussion we had on
Monday evening in Geneva about pros and cons of PIN vs. APD in ONU.

Attached are the straw polls and points of argument.

I have identified three items in red to focus on initially.

 <<APD vs PIN pro-n-con.pdf>>

1. An objection was raised to having an amplified EML at OLT due to
non-linear interactions between D/S and analog video overlay. David Piehler
supplied a response that will be posted separately to start a thread.

In two cases we had task force members stating directly contradictory
opinions:

2. one stated that PIN ONU leads to lowest fully subscribed cost, while
another stated that PIN ONU leads to highest fully subscribed cost.

3. one stated that high power EMLs (+2 to +3 dBm minimum output power) for
use with APD at ONU are commercially available today, while another stated
that such high power EMLs are not available today.

I would like to ask for volunteers who hold opinions on point #2 and point
#3 to volunteer to defend these those positions on the Reflector, with
back-up information.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Robert Lingle, Jr.
Fiber Design and Transmission Simulation
OFS Corporate R&D, Atlanta
404-886-3581 (cell)
770-798-5015 (office)