From: Bidyut Parruck [mailto:Bidyut@cortina-systems.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:31 PM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: [8023-10GEPON] PIN-PD Power Budget

I have been looking at publicly available 10Gbps PON photodiode datasheets from major suppliers. For the receiver sensitivity, they all claim -21 dBm for BER of 1x10E-12. The typical characteristics curve suggests a BER of 1x10E-3 for input power level of -25 dBm.

With input BER of 1x10E-3, we can find FEC algorithms which would provide output BER of 1x10E-12 or better. Excuse my ignorance of the subject, but why can't we use -24 dBm as the receiver sensitivity for PIN-PD receivers? That will give us an additional 4 dB.

Here are some examples: