Re: 10G-BASE-T question (dd1)

Devendra Tripathi wrote:

snip...

> >A wider interface presents more constraints, and if wanted as
> >an option must be used in evaluating a number of the PHY proposals. (A wider
> >interface can affect preamble, IPG, and latency at a minimum.)
>
> I do not see this a problem at least upto 32 bit. Please note that even at
> GMII, I am doubtfull
> if any one implements internal logic at 125 MHz. Mostly it 16 bit bus
> running at 62.5 MHz. At 32
> bit we have 3 clocks of IPG and 2 clocks of preamble, both being integers.
>
> Tripathi.

Tripathi,

  I just wanted to point out that all the GIG MACs we have implemented used an
8 bit data path. The current CMOS technology easily runs at 125-150Mhz. I
myself have put 8 GMII interfaces on one device (256 pins), all running
at 125Mhz with 8 bit data paths. We also used 125Mhz as out internal working
clock as well.

Denis

--
| Denis R. Beaudoin             _          Email : dbeaudoin@xxxxxx |
| Network Business Unit       _| '-.       Phone : 972-480-3287     |