  From: Rich Taborek [mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 3:17 PM
  To: Hon Wah Chin; HSSG; Dan Dove
  Subject: Re: 9.584640

  Hon Wah,

  Thanks for kicking this issue off again!

      Hon Wah Chin wrote:

      >   ---
      >  :
      >  :

  In my conversations with several folks on both sides of the issue during
the
  Montreal meetings, I've come to the conclusion that the root reasons to
select
  either a 10 or 9.584640 Gbps are purely ease-of implementation based and
have no
     :
     :

  5) Consider a Ethernet to OC-192 line card (feeding a fiber or wavelength)
in
  operation. Assume that receive and transmit paths are separate on the
SONET side
  and related (i.e. full duplex) on the Ethernet side:
    a) Ethernet -> SONET @ 9.584640 Gbps: The Ethernet side can continuously
feed
  the SONET link with no flow control required.
    b) Ethernet -> SONET @ 10 Gbps: The Ethernet side must be flow
controlled to
  prevent over-feeding the SONET link
    c) SONET -> Ethernet @ 9.584640 or 10 Gbps: The Ethernet side can
continuously
  source SONET data but will flow control or drop packets downstream
whenever the
  network is congested.

     :
     :

  Best Regards,
  Rich

  --

      > Given a raw continuous bit stream at the PMD, some scheme for
      > framing packets would be needed.  10M used a carrier, 100M used
coding,
      > 1000M used coding.  Using coding where the PMD speed is fixed at
9.58Gb/s
      > would mean a further speed reduction (probably 10-20%) at the
MAC/PLS
      > interface. The discussion at the meeting has already started to
consider ways
      > of
      > reducing the useful throughput at the MAC/PLS below the data
clocking rate.
      > An
      > alternative framing scheme presented to HSSG, which has a smaller
throughput
      > reduction, requires a packet length header -- a departure from
previous 802
      > practice.
      >
      >  :
      >  :
      >
      > -hwc

  Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
  Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
  Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
  Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx