will likely yield the lowest cost 10 GbE implementations.

2) Point #4 in my previous note is NOT TRUE. This means that more of SONET
signaling and framing would be imposed upon 10 GbE. This may include
requirements to operate at one or more of the EXACT line rates supported by
OC-192, SDL packet formatting, etc. This goes way beyond the simple HSSG speed
objective and only pushes the requirement to map Ethernet to SONET dowstream to
the slower speed Ethernet feeds. I view this as tantamount to declaring that 10
GbE "IS" SONET OC-192.

#4 There seems to be no intent by either side to consider any other changes but
speed as a HSSG objective. Therefore, Ethernet will remain a simple, general
purpose, packet-based transport, and SONET will remain a specific purpose
(MAN/WAN), synchronous transport no matter which way the decision goes.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Hon Wah Chin wrote:

> With regard to your point 5a below, I was pointing out that to do framing,
> either flow control (because of coding overhead) OR new packet formating
> (SDL ?) would be required at that point, even at the slower OC-192 payload
> rate.
> I meant that this issue should be considered ALONG with the clocking issue.
>
> -hwc

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx