RE: York plans

Leonard:

We cannot roll out 10 GbE in 2 or 3 years to our customers and tell them SORRY
there is no support for your installed fiber.  We CANNOT tell them just pull
enhanced multimode fiber.

As it stands 100 meters is not sufficient as a goal for the installed base.  10
GbE will be a backbone technology for campus LANs and must support the installed
cabling.  If we cannot run 10 GbE on installed MM fiber at backbone distances,
we should start telling customers now to pull SM fiber.

What we really need is a goal that gives us a real backbone distance of 200
meters on the installed MM fiber.

There has been a plethora of email about support for the WAN on this reflector.
How about some email that communicates support for our traditional customer
base??

Bruce Tolley
Manager, Business Development
3Com Corporation