RE: Supporting Installed Fibre

Bruce (et al):

There are many reasons why we ended up with the distance objectives we did.
I am especially grateful that we have what we do.

While it is of great interest to maximumize the distance we can acheive,
this cannot be done independent of cost, reliability, risk,
manufacturability, IP, and numerous other issues. I do not believe that we
have sufficient information at this point in time to make these trade-offs.
I do believe that it is important for us to understand the matrix and make
informed decisions. I believe that the best PMD solution for distance is
different from the best PMD solution for cost is different from the best PMD
solution for reliability....

Your point is well taken and should not be forgotten. In fact, we all hope
that your fiber survey ad-hoc will come up with some really good data that
will help to make our future decisions and trade-offs easier. In the mean
time, let's construct the criteria list and get to work information
gathering and prioritizing.

jonathan