RE: 10 Gigabit EMI

Dan (and others),

Warning: Jonathan removes his chair hat.

I fully understand the heresy I spoke on my append on EMI. I fully
understand the difference it makes in having high speed lines that have no
sharp turns (if any turns at all), avoiding the use of passive components
due to the radiation, keeping the line lengths exactly matched, not having
screws protrude from the back of a system, not allowing breaks in the ground
loop on either the board OR THE CHIP, putting decoupling capacitors right on
top of the power and ground pins for a high speed output, putting special
coatings on LCD displays, etc ad nausium.

I've been in far too many customer's offices trying to help them resolve EMI
issues to not take this seriously. Those who have worked with me are
unlikely to ever forget that I told them early in their gigabit design
efforts that EMI would be the thing that would cause them to miss their
dates. Most learned the hard way.

I understand!

And for Jamie, I even brought Dr. Johnson in to teach a class to my
customers so that they would get it.

I understand!!

During my initial presentation a year ago during the kick-off meeting I
raised a number of these same issues, including 8B/10B coding.

I understand!!!

Now, is anyone going to give serious attention to the holes that the optics
are going to stick through (yes, fan holes too)? Anyone that thinks that the
correct application of EMI hygiene will make that issue go away is smoking
something. Perhaps, just perhaps, this is an "implementation" issue and not
worth discussion in this forum. Perhaps, just perhaps, this is an issue that
will delay the rollout of 10 gig products (at least the serial ones) by more
than a year.

Yes, I am absolutely paranoid!

Now (deep, cleansing breath) that I have vented....

Jonathan puts his chair hat back on.

It is entirely appropriate for use to look at methods to improve EMI
radiation using coding modifications. This is something that the world will
have to live with for a long time that is not in the control of the
implementers.

It is also appropriate for us to encourage the industry to fix other
problems that are mandatory for the success of the market development of our
future standard which are outside our scope.  These are not things we should
dwell on. Even so, it would be irresponsible for us to remain silent.

So, rather than calling the writer of this very note out of order (not
within the scope of our objectives), I will offer instead to compile a list
(starting with this) of similar issues that people wish to forward to me.
Simply put on the "Subject:" line "Out of scope issue -- ". Send it either
to me or to the reflector.

At very least, it will be an interesting exercise.

jonathan

application/ms-tnef