Re: Unified PMD vs. Unified PHY

Roy,

I believe that you have overhead sources twisted a bit.

All proposals for the LAN PHY support a MAC data transfer rate of 10 Gbps.  What
are you referring to when you say ~10% slower?  The only thing that's limiting
the MAC's accepted 10 Gbps data rate is legacy SONET OC-192c and it's inherent
overhead.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> The real question is, do we need a LAN PHY that is ~10% slower than the
> 10.000 Gigbit transfer rate that was so important in June, July, September,
> and November of 1999?  Did all of that support for 10.000 Gigabit suddenly
> disappear?  It makes me very suspicious.  The additional ~3% loss to the WAN
> compatable PHY is a seperate issue.
>
> Thank you,
> Roy Bynum

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com