Re: Unified PMD vs. Unified PHY

Rich,

A LAN only PHY that is at 10Gbps transfer rate is exactly what I am talking
about.  The proposed "UniPHY" is ~3% less than the original proposal for a
WAN compatible PHY which, as you pointed out, is less than the original LAN
PHY to start with.

As far as a unified PHY is concerned, no one has said that the WAN
compatible PHY could not be used in a privately owned fiber systems, like
the LAN PHY.  The WAN compatible PHY just has ~5% less MAC transfer rate.
As far as I know, there has never been a presentation that would only work
in the WAN, ie. a WAN only PHY.  This understanding makes the WAN compatible
PHY functional as a reduced rate LAN PHY.  In other words, the unified PHY
that Jonathan Thatcher is wanting is already the WAN compatible PHY.

I think that the preferences that came out of the survey that Jonathan
indicates that the majority of the group would prefer the WAN compatible PHY
because it will support both the LAN and WAN implimentations at only ~5%
overhead cost.  From what I have been able to determine, the actual
implementation costs seem to be about the same.  The second alternative is
seperate LAN only and WAN compatible PHYs.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum