Re: XAUI, XGMII extender?

Roger,

Your comments address a specific 10 GbE application, that of a single port NIC.
The NIC will have to contain one copy of all required elements of the stack from
the MAC to the MDI. You'll have to find a way to connect the transceiver module
(which itself may not fit on a PCI-X) card to the MAC. I envision prototype and
early transceiver modules as being of the "daughter card" variety. For a NIC,
this may mean that a large part of PCI-X card itself becomes the transceiver
module. I don't want to burst your bubble, but to get 10 Gbps of data through
the PMD, you'll either be running 3.125 Gbaud traces for WWDM or 10.3125 Gbaud
traces for a Serial PMD. These are the leading PMD proposals at this time.

You can choose to go with a MAC which connects to PCS chip via an XGMII
interface or other proprietary interface, or you can optionally use XAUI for
this interface. XAUI/XGXS is not being forced on anyone. However, a lot of folks
seem to like it.

As time marches on, I'd be very happy to help you out with an integrated MAC/PHY
which connects directly to smaller form factor Serial or WWDM transceivers, the
interconnect being XAUI. All of this should fit easily on a PCI-X card, consume
the least power, and have good EMI characteristics. For production 10 GbE NIC's,
I'd put the XAUI interface up against any other proposal.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Roger Ronald wrote:

> [...]

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com