Re: WAN PHY name

Jonathan,

How about this - instead of using letters in the name that describe
what the PHY-in-question isn't, use letters that describe what
it is: Ethernet. Starting with that the first thing that popped in my mind
was Ethernet Extension PHY (EX PHY or simply X PHY). Going a
little further I came up with Ethernet Distance Extension PHY (EDE PHY).
A few others:
     Ethernet eXtended Range PHY              (EXR PHY)
     Ethernet CONnection PHY                    (ECON PHY)
     Ethernet Connection to Other NEtworks  (ECONE-PHY)

For those that like to keep the short-a vowel sound there's
Ethernet Connection to Alternate Networks (ECAN).

Anyway, you see my point. There's all sorts of words and acronyms that
can be formed around an E for ethernet in front of PHY. We just have
to find the right one.

Regards,

Mike de la Garrigue

--