Preparations and expectations for the May 802.3ae Meeting -- Presenter alert!

While this is preliminary, I want to make it clear what the expectations are
for the May meeting. May is a time to critically review those proposals that
are going to be presented at the July meeting.

We should therefore first understand the expectations for the July meeting.

July proposals need to be complete. This means that they have to represent
solutions from the MAC all the way down through the PMD. Now, for purposes
of efficiency, this does not mean that every presentation needs to include
everything. It does mean that we should be able to assemble a chart that
shows which combinations of presentations can be combined to make a whole,
top-down proposal (1 or more from column A....).

How complete does it need to be? Complete enough for our Chief Editor and
his helpers to write the 1st draft of the standard from it. In short, all
the major pieces need to be there and they need to work together! The
editors must be able to understand the material with a minimum of Q&A.
If you will, the 1st draft should follow the 80/20 rule. It should be 80%
complete. The missing 20% should be details, not key concepts.

It will not be acceptable to reference presentations from previous meetings
on the same topic. It will be entirely unacceptable to say, "Oh, I wrote
about that in a note on the reflector" or "I described that at the York
meeting." If it is important, it must be there! It is up to the authors
to assemble the information and not forget any details. Think of it as
part of a motion (which it will be); the entirety of the motion must be
explicit! You are delivering a product. Don't leave the tires off.

In May, we should therefore be at around 60% completion and come out of the
meeting identifying the missing >20% that needs to be filled in prior to the
July meeting.

So, try this on for an acid test: if you are asked which other proposals you
have dependencies on, it won't be very convincing if you say that you think
you can work with any of the various proposals and don't know of any issues.
To demonstrate that you have thoroughly thought the issues through, you
should be prepared to provide some detail as to how your proposal interacts
with other proposals that are required for the complete solution."

Additionally, don't forget that we need to indicate which objectives our
proposal satisfies and which they don't satisfy.

Lastly, don't forget that we need to be able to indicate that our proposals
satisfy ALL OF THE 5 CRITERIA and have the ability to meet our schedule.
Slam, dunk; right?  :-)

jonathan

Jonathan Thatcher,
Chair, IEEE 802.3ae (10 Gigabit Ethernet)
Director of Engineering, World Wide Packets
PO BOX 141719, Suite B; 12720 E. Nora, Spokane, WA 99214
509-242-9000 X228; Fax 509-242-9001; jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

application/ms-tnef