RE: Subject: Survey of lengths of installed optical fiber cable

Regarding this thread....

I would recommend that those interested in this topic first review the
minutes of the June and July meetings. This is the time frame where we
selected our set of objectives.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/june99/minutes_0699.pd
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/july99/minutes_0799.pd

During that time there was significant discussion about shorter jumpers. As
you are aware, these did not make it into the objectives (less than 75%
support).

Two things should be clear:
1. That any of the PMD solutions proposed could be used for a short link.
2. That discussion about a short link optimized for distances less than the
objectives (i.e. not meeting any of the current fiber/distance objectives)
is likely to be considered out of order by the chair.

While I would certainly discourage anyone mucking around with the
objectives, it is certainly the right of any member to put forth a motion to
modify these. If this is not the intent, then let's get on with the work
that we have identified for ourselves. It is certainly sufficient for the
time at hand.

jonathan

p.s. This is not the place to talk or speculate about proprietary solutions.
jt

Jonathan Thatcher,
Chair, IEEE 802.3ae (10 Gigabit Ethernet)
Principal Engineer, World Wide Packets
PO BOX 141719, Suite B; 12720 E. Nora, Spokane, WA 99214
509-242-9000 X228; Fax 509-242-9001; jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx