Re: Nomenclature update

Brad,

Two point:

1) I'd give more weight to the "Marketing" angle of the nomenclature than to any
reason based on technical purity with respect to layering, prior documentation,
etc.

For example, 10GBASE-XX has a significantly better sound, look and "feel" than
"10kBASE-XX.

2) If you're going to attempt to cover LAN/WAN, block/scrambled coding,
Longwave/Shortwave, Single/Parallel fiber, Serial/WDM, you might as well throw
in Fiber/Copper, Coax/Twisted-Pair, 780/850/980/1180/1300/1310/1550 nm etc.

Point is: Keep it simple. You're model is good enough at this point. Once we
settle on the PMDs which will go into the document we can finalize the XX or
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX designation according to guideline #1 above.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Booth, Bradley" wrote:

> I could probably live with something relatively close to that.  I do have an
> issue with using 4 because is it suppose to define 4 parallel fibers or 4
> wavelengths.  If you use the examples you gave, it should refer to 4
> parallel fibers.
>
> It was also requested during the Interim meeting that we keep the order from
> the bottom of the layer diagram up.  This would result in a nomenclature
> such as ...BASE-S4X.  For the Serial implementation, we could use -SX, and
> for the WDM implementation, we could SMX.  Although, S4X may not be a bad
> idea for adding more wavelengths in the future.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com