Re: ONLY one ref multiplier?: PMA clock reference

Joel,

The root question is what the interface specs need to be for the XBI Tx ad Rx
data and clock signals. I'm assuming that since the data signals need to carry
10 Gbps of data that the clock signals must operate at 1/16 the data rate (i.e.
622 or 644.5 MHz).

I assume that WHEN you say FPGA solutions you mean for the system side rather
than the Mux/Demux/CDR side of the XBI. It then seems that the possible system
side FPGA is "insulated" from the high-speed logic whose output is specified in
terms of its jitter transfer and tolerance. Since Ethernet is a point-to-point
transport, jitter specs can likely be relaxed with respect to SONET. The
magnitude of relaxation needs to be determined. Therefore, whether or not an
FPGA is used on the system side has no direct bearing on the PMA clock
reference.

Am I missing something?

--

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com