Re: headless chicken

Osamu,

It may be that we're entering a crossroads in 802.3 with respect to more complex
cabling plants which contain repeaters, patch panels, media converters, pure
optical switches, etc. However, my suspicion is that architecting MAC operation
separate from PHY operation is an implementation ONLY issue. Most Ethernet
devices I'm aware of power their PHY's in concert with the MAC. You mention
"stand-alone PHY" below in your note. However, this PHY is attached to a MAC as
well as the rest of the stack. All layers operate in unison. In the case that
one layer breaks, management, if present, can disable the link.

I agree with the simple LSS based Remote Fault and Break Link mechanism
described in your original note. This protocol is far simpler and more robust
that its Auto Negotiation based counterparts. This is primarily due to the
absence of full-duplex handshakes in the LSS mechanisms.

However, I urge you to keep the LSS protocol simple and not include any
implementation specific features. My view of Remote Fault (RF) and Break Link
(BL) protocol is as follows:

Remote Fault:
- LSS signals RF whenever the link, including all lanes, is not synchronized;
- LSS RF signaling occurs once every 125 usec +/- 14 usec;
- Received RF is indicated in a management register (TBD).

Break Link:
- LSS signals BL upon management initiative;
- BL has priority over RF;
- LSS BL signaling occurs once every 125 usec +/- 14 usec;
- Received BL is indicated in a management registers (TBD).

Link Status:
- Set to OK when the link, including all lanes, is synchronized; and,
- RF or BL is not being received;
- Set to FAIL otherwise.

In summary, any hot swapping, PHY isolate, MAC re-booting, swapping XAUI
interfaces, etc. issues are implementation dependent and outside the scope of
the P802.3ae standard.

--

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com