RE: Optical Connectors

I think the WAN versions of 10GBE introduce another
levelof complexity to connector considerations. Telcom
carriers, who will presumably be a major user of these
parts have numerous internally standardized connector
systems. This standardization is often for the entire
telephone system of a country and, in a few cases, is
even required by law. This is why the ITU doesn't
specify connectors in SONET standards.

I don't think we should get pulled down into the
connector quagmire. As Ethernet expands to touch other
pre-existing domains, the level of complexity /
confusion increases logrithmically. This is a case
where the market should decide.

Jay
--- Jonathan Thatcher