Re: Optical Connectors

As one member of the user community, I would like to go on the record
that some form of standardization in the connector interface would be
appreciated.

Although IEEE did not partake in the "connector wars", they have been
going on.  At this point, there do appear to be some clear indications
of what the winners will be, and what some of the losers are.

I do not think that solely identifying the SC connector in the standard
is a good option.  Most likely most of the interfaces sold will not use
the SC, they will use one of the SFF options.

If some limited number of connector options were detailed in the
standard, it would be of great benefit to the user community.  At this
point I would vote for the inclusion of three standard interfaces (the
SC and two SFF versions).  I think concensus could be reached in that
regard.

Gair