RE: Equalization and benefits of Parallel Optics.

Roy and Bruce,

If there were any such preliminary claims made for 850 serial regarding its
capability to 100 m on the installed base, (and I do not recall any) it
would have had to have been with the understanding that the "installed base"
contained 500 MHz-km 50 um fibers. Using 500 MHz-km bandwidth in the link
model results in distances approaching, but short of, 100 m.

I do not believe that the 100 m objective was chosen because of any such
claims. As I have stated before, I believe the 100 m objective was chosen
because we though that some reasonable solution would be able to achieve
this objective, not necessarily 850 nm Serial.

Now upon further examination of  the rationale behind that objective, we
find it is rather empty. It neither protects a significant customer
investment, nor necessarily addresses a particular distance need tied to an
application space where 10GbE is expected to be deployed.

As such it is probably better to replace it with a more meaningful
objective, one that addresses the needs of the equipment room. To develop a
better objective for the equipment room, we will need data on distance
distributions. Today we heard from Chris Diminico that equipment room
distance distribution data is available. I suggest examining it and setting
up the appropriate objective around this data.

Paul