RE: Minimum IPG w/ WIS ?

Certainly Idle insertion and deletion must happen before 64/66 encode and
after decode since the 64/66 encoding depends on the number of idles.

Cheers,

Paul

At 09:54 AM 2/21/2001 -0800, Julio.Hernandez@xxxxxx wrote:

>Mike,
>
>WRT;
>Mike > Yes, the original 12 byte IPG is considered part of
>Mike > the payload in the WIS, so the stretching of the IPG
>Mike > must account for this by adding these 12 bytes into
>Mike > the payload portion of the equation.
>
>Thanks for the confirmation. (-:
>
>WRT:
>Mike > And since what is placed in the sonet frame might as
>Mike > well be considered jibberish in the sonet world,
>Mike > there's no way of extracting these needed idles prior
>Mike > to placing the stream within the sonet frame, to reduce
>Mike > the payload.  Nor is there any way to re-introduce
>Mike > these needed idles on the other end when the ethernet
>Mike > stream is extracted from the sonet frame.
>
>I am probably not the right person to authoritatively answer
>this for you, but from my perspective, this is not a accurate
>statement.
>
>This is absolutely possible, and performed by vendor implementation
>specific elasticity FIFOs before the Encoder, and after the Decoder.
>
>Mike > The part I'm still fuzzy on is on the transmit side of this,
>Mike > where this "ethernet stream" is created.  Which block
>Mike > handles removal of these stretched IPG bytes, so we only
>Mike > send 12+pkt in the sonet frame?  Is it the 64b/66b, the
>Mike > WIS, or the gearbox?  It has to be pre-scrambling of the
>Mike > stream, that's obvious, but is it pre-encoding?
>
>See previous answer ...
>

>Best Regards,
>Julio
>

>Mike Bly <Mike.Bly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 02/21/2001 08:49:37 AM
>
>To:   "'THALER,PAT (A-Roseville,ex1)'" <pat_thaler@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Julio
>       Hernandez/SSI1@SSI1, stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
>cc:
>Subject:  RE: Minimum IPG w/ WIS ?
>

>Julio,
>
>Yes, the original 12 byte IPG is considered part of the payload in the
>WIS,
>so the stretching of the IPG must account for this by adding these 12
>bytes
>into the payload portion of the equation.
>
>We are actually sending ethernet idles in the sonet frame's payload
>along
>with the ethernet packets.  I don't claim to be an expert on why, but
>I'll
>try not to butcher it too badly.  It has to do with the encoding schemes
>requiring N number of codes between packet's in order to guarantee
>recognition of said packets, when the descrambled ethernet stream (which
>was
>extracted from the sonet frame, post-transmission) is presented to the
>64b/66b decoder and/or 8b/10b decoder.  And since what is placed in the
>sonet frame might as well be considered jibberish in the sonet world,
>there's no way of extracting these needed idles prior to placing the
>stream
> [...]

Paul A. Bottorff, Director Switching Architecture
Enterprise Solutions Technology Center
Nortel Networks, Inc.
4401 Great America Parkway
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
Tel: 408 495 3365 Fax: 408 495 1299 ESN: 265 3365
email: pbottorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx