[802.3ae] SMF Specification Question

In reviewing the cable specifications for the 10GBase-LR and 10GBase-ER
PMD's, I have run into a point of confusion that I would hope someone could
clarify.

The 3.2 draft calls out a 10um SMF specification but in examining various
cable types in the market, I find references to 8.2um SMF (Corning's SMF-28)
or 8.3um SMF (Lucent TrueWave) to name just a couple.

Why would the draft call out a core size that is larger than a core size
commonly used in the industry?  What am I missing here?

Regards,

Marshall Eisenberg
Director of product marketing
Foundry Networks Inc.