Re: From serial PMD call, 30 Jan. 01: RIN, TMS. Different phone# thi s week

Hi all,

I had to miss the last weeks call, so maybe you already talked about this.
I would like to urge caution changing the numbers for the RIN, since we are
already proposing including the IN penalty (which will be on the order of
0.4 dB for the longest lengths). We need to make sure that after allocating
all the penalties, we still have positive margin.

I think that measuring the RIN with -12 dB RL is OK since short links are
possible. The question though is how to separate the RIN from the IN
penalty when measuring the RIN with -12 dB RL?

 Peter

Petar Pepeljugoski
IBM Research
P.O.Box 218