Re: XAUI Related Issues

All -

The FC method averages out the jitter terms which is why it was adopted and why I offered it.

Since all system-level signal integrity requirements are differential, they inherently include any effects of skew. The only reason to keep skew as a separate spec would be for isolated control over boards - where a board may be tested without an actual transmitter. In that case, both skew limits and methods are needed. It seems that keeping such info available as informative is a good idea.

FC uses long copper differential cables, up to >30 meters, from independent suppliers. So in FC, skew is important, separately measurable and manageable.

Tom