Re: Jitter tolerance experiments on 2.5, 3.125 and 10 Gb/s

Benny,

I have been starting to look at your results, and also thinking about
your comment to response to Rohit. i.e relating Sonet jitter
specification to Ethernet. I have been working on this problem for the
last couple of weeks now, based on the work from Trischitta and Varma,
"Jitter In Digital Transmission Systems".

Given the theoritical meaning of 1dB signal penality for a given SJ
jitter, one can calculate was this is in terms of clock offset for a
receiver. For example the SONET specification, of 1dB for 0.15UI equates
to a required maximum clock offset for a receiver of 0.25UI; this means
quite simply that the SONET specification in terms of total jitter or
Ethernet, allows a maximum total jitter (i.e DJ + 14xRJ(RMS)) of 0.75UI,
(assuming no additional RJ from the receiver, which is not quite true,
but almost).

(clock offset = deviation of the sampling clock from the ideal center of
the data eye given symetrical noise distributions)

The impact would be, that for the 3.125Gbps Demux you have measured; if
you see a 1dB penality at 0.65U of SJ, for example, the clock offset of
the device is a lot better than 0.35UI (exact number I have to calc
today, I didnīt calculate this number for such high SJ), I send this out
when I finished writting the Annex 48B.

I would be interested in hearing if you are of the same opinion.

Best regards,

Anthony Sanders
Principal Engineer
Infineon Technologies