From: Boaz Shahar [mailto:boazs@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 12:54 AM
To: 'Tord Haulin'; Kesling, Dawson W
Cc: Serial PMD reflector (E-mail)
Subject: More about XAUI Signal Detect

Dawson,
I think that the original interpretation that is appearing in Clause 47
(D2.1) is better for us to adopt (That is, to leave it as is).

To my understanding (Please correct me if I'm wrong), the original
interpretation is that the XAUI signal detect is an internal variable that
is transferred from the PMA to the PCS.
The problems I see with additional signal(s) are:

1.A signal (Either differential or single ended) does not solve all the
problems. For instance, if you have a disconnected lane between two XAUI
agents, this lane might get an adjacent lane signal as a result of XTALK or
mutual inductance, and you will see there logically valid signal, that
hopefully will have lower amplitude. So, you probably have to detect low
level signal in the PMA and generate LF anyway. A signal detect signal will
not have any benefit.

2.Addition of signals to the involved ICs make them, and as a result the
overall system, more expensive

3.If the bus is located on a BKPN, you have to transfer the additional
signals all over the BKPN and connectors, a thing that is not simple to do
even without it.

So, as a summary, I think that adding a signal is not a cost effective move.

Thanks,
Boaz

P.S. I understand that now there is a need of 75% to change it, isn't it?