Re: WG: OMA Rec spec and verification of interface

Hi Rahn

Few years back when OMA was first introduced in FC my primary concern
was what simple method can you use to verify optical levels.  From
the measurement OMA introduces significant variability making DC power
almost useless.  But the argument for OMA was you can't tell much about
a multi-gig system by measuring Dc power anyway.

My primary concern is specifying very low ER 4 dB.
The transmitter is over optimized by burdening the receiver.
At 4 dB ER significant amount of DC offset is introduced in
the receiver.  I would suggest keeping the min ER to 6 dB.

Thanks,

Ali

"Rahn, Juergen (Juergen)" wrote:

> > Hi,
> > The issue in the subject I brought forward at the last meeting is not
> > resolved in my view. In the current Draft the Transmitter as well as the
> > receiver is specified in OMA. This is done in order to allow bigger
> > variance in the transmitter signal in terms of ER and power variation.
> > This, in this case leads to the following situation for e.g. the 1300nm
> > interface:
> > Transmitter power may be vary from: - 6. 22 dBm (coming from calculation)
> > in case of very high ER
> > to +1dBm as value  for the  4 dB ER (in contras to former 3 dB we now have
> > complete match).
> > This means under an assumption of a compliant path of maximum attenuation
> > we can measure either :
> > - 13 dBm for high ER signals or up to -6 dBm as max power low ER signal (I
> > leave the decimals as this is not suited for verification anyway)
> > In case of lowest attenuation, the power may vary between the -6 dBm for
> > the high ER signals and +1 dBm for the 4 dB ER signal.  This means that
> > receive power levels measured with a power- meter do not at all help to
> > determine if a receiver power is in spec or not as there is absolutely no
> > overlap between the two cases. All the power levels between it cannot be
> > verified with a simple power meter as at all power levels between 6 and
> > -13 dBm the power may either be correct or too low as function of the ER.
> > In such cases the OMA has to be measured at the receiver. This however has
> > to be done with an oscilloscope and has further reduced precision in
> > comparison to a power meter.
> > This means: The verification of the correct receiver power level requires
> > specific measurement equipment for verifying the optical amplitude on the
> > normal Eye or some means have to be in place to switch the transmitter
> > into Test pattern mode (Where I have the question what a test that has
> > nothing to do with a normal pattern tells a about the real ER). All this
> > is not simple and special complicated measurement means are contradicting
> > the idea of a simple interface for compatibility between different
> > vendors. This by the way was the reason for specifying the ITU interfaces
> > the way this is done, as complicated validation is a direct interface cost
> > driver.
> >
> > The validation of the 1550 nm interface  is principally suffering from
> > this effect also however if taken the values of the previous draft an
> > overlap is present where you can judge that the power is correct in any
> > case due to the smaller allowed variation (+4 to ~-1.5 dBm). Under this
> > condition the optional attenuators (looking at the values of the former
> > draft could solve the problem and make verification of the receiver side
> > of the path possible by easy means.  (By the way here I have some
> > difficulties with the power levels as
> > (Here I want to note that there are changes in the draft I do not
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Ghiasi;Ali
tel;work:(408)922-7423
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Broadcom;Optical Transport
adr:;;3151 Zanker Rd	;San Jose;CA;95134;
version:2.1
email;internet:aghiasi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
x-mozilla-cpt:;-3776
fn:Ali Ghiasi