SJTP: Minutes from today's call

Hello,

Attached are the minutes from today's Serial Jitter Test Pattern
phone call. Thanks to all attendees and a reminder that next
week's phone call is on for the same time and you should be
able to use the same number (listed at the bottom of the
minutes).

Tom, David, Paul, Norival, others with WIS/SONET experience:

The focus of today's discussion was around a test pattern for
the WAN PHY. As (hopefully) you can see in the minutes, we
talked about 4 specific options:

1) No modifications to the WIS, use the LAN pattern as the
   WIS payload

2) Use the A1/A2 pattern for framing with no other overhead
   bytes and do not restrict the frame duration to 125 usec

3) Use the LAN pattern directly, in a similar fashion to what
   is currently defined in D3.0 (i.e., no A1/A2 framing)

4) Do nothing and inform WIS implementors about the pattern
   specified in ITU-T G.957 (as described in the minutes and
   the attached email from Piers Dawe - CID_pattern).

The advantages of #1 are obvious as the standard doesn't need
to change. However, the problem is with the synchronization
process. If there is a feature in the pattern that causes the
PLL to drop sync consistently on every frame, the sync process
will never get around to sending payload to the PCS for
analysis. But then again, if the PLL can't maintain sync, do
we care?

The other disadvantage is that the pattern is very long for
BERT memory. You can either send the same pattern in every
frame, which probably fits into a BERT, but this does not
contain an integral multiple of 66-bit blocks so a receiving
PCS would lose sync on every SONET frame. You could also send
a pattern which repeats with an integral number of 66-bit
blocks but this requires almost 200,000 66-bit blocks over
exactly 11 SONET frames. This works well in a loopback or
PHY to PHY test but does not fit well in BERT memory.

#2 requires changes to the WIS and may affect implementations
regarding how they pass "payload" between the PCS and the WIS.
This would fix the problem of allowing the pattern to both
fit inside a BERT and be passed to the PCS without loss of sync.

#3 eliminates the A1/A2 pattern which itself is a rather
stressful pattern that should probably not be eliminated from
a WAN PHY test pattern.

#4 has been around for a long time without (public) modification.
This either means it works adequately or has been replaced with
proprietary solutions. Choosing this option has the advantage
(for this ad hoc) that our work becomes focused on the serial
LAN only. However, is this pattern sufficient to guarantee
interoperability? Should we make it mandatory when SONET has
made it optional?

We're very interested in the opinions of people with experience
in this area regarding what other ramifications exist that we
haven't even considered. Your input, or that of anyone else for
that matter, would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure we'll be
discussing this in the next phone call but an email dialog would
be a great way to get some progress out of the way.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Benjamin Brown
AMCC

Second conference call of the Serial Jitter Test Pattern ad-hoc
17-April-2001, 1:00pm EDT

Attendees:
  Ben Brown
  Piers Dawe
  Don Alderrou
  Gareth Edwards
  Anthony Sanders
  John Ewen
  Peter Ohlen
  Tom Lindsay
  Jonathan Thatcher
  Pat Thaler
  Bill Reysen

Proposed Agenda:

Review the feature list that I updated last week.

Continue with Jonathan's list

Add any that are missing

Unless we're done early, I'd like to push out specific
proposals until next week so we all have a chance to
review the features and the proposals one more time.

JT's #11) Pattern flexibility - move to last on list

JT's #12) Technique for testing the WAN PHY

Do we need A1/A2

There are SONET test patterns: do we need to support them?
Probably not as our patterns should provide the same
characteristics.

We'll be defining a test pattern that will likely be better
than the currently optional SONET patterns.

Do we need to do anything special in the SONET overhead
fields when we're passing this data?

Does a WIS need to send data to the PCS other than payload?
Just have the WIS turn off its scrambler.

Without A1/A2, the WIS will never send payload to the PCS.
Perhaps a PLL design depends upon the existence of the A1/A2
pattern.

A1/A2 is stressful on DC-balance.

SONET folks want this repeated as often as it occurs in
reality. Almost everything else is scrambled so the question
comes down to whether we limit the pattern to payload
space or everywhere else.

How does the BERT decide to capture the pattern?
Do they make a "SONET" BERT that knows how to ignore TOH?

SONET pattern is A1/A2 followed by runs/PRBS.

1 - use full SONET frame - too long(?), not necessarily
  BERTs exist to capture an entire frame
  pre-programmed filters exist with A1/A2 twice in a frame
    similar to existing SONET patterns
  If length of pattern matches SONET frame and scrambling
    is turned off, then we've got a repeatable pattern

It would be good to get some WIS designers involved in this
discussion.

2 - Create a test pattern that simply prepends the A1/A2
  but does not include any overhead and perhaps the A1/A2
  occur more frequently.

3 - use the LAN pattern without A1/A2
  This is essentially what we're doing in D3.0

Using a method other than #1 means changes to the WIS.
Different implementations may have problems making changes
to the WIS to support.

Due to the 66-bit blocks, the actual repeat rate requires
11 SONET frames. We're still talking about multiple small
patterns in a single SONET frame so does this really matter?

Are we testing for a BERT or point-to-point?
The pattern may not be contiguous across SONET frames from
a 1-frame BERT pattern.

Add logic in the PCS: Start a 66-bit frame coincident
with the beginning of a SONET frame.
Add logic in the PCS: From this trigger point on (the end
of the SONET frame), stop counting errors until you've lost
sync and regained it.

Another choice would be to use option #2: Send A1/A2 followed
by 8(?) repeats of the LAN pattern.

If pattern forces PLL out of sync, a normal function
WIS would never be in sync and never sending payload to
the PCS. The WIS needs to operate in a special test mode.

The ratio of payload to overhead is 29:1(?). If we make
our pattern length 29 times the length of the A1/A2, the
overall data rates would match normal operation. Does the
SONET frame send all 192 A1s and 192 A2s or a smaller
number?

From Jan PMD minutes, this comes from G.958 (1994), now
in G.957 (2000 or 2001) - Piers to send out a URL to this
email

Go through pattern: ABDCBD...

A - 9 bytes of 1
B - PRBS 7 2000 to 10000 bits or more
D - 192 A1, 192 A2, 192 10101010
C - 9 bytes of 0

A1 = 0xf6
A2 = 0x28

This seems like quite a lot of disparity. We should probably
not remove this from a pattern.

If we need A1/A2, this removes option #3.
If the WIS needs to be in a diagnostic mode, we should not
  force ourselves into option #1.
This leaves option #2.

4 - There always exists the option of ignoring the WAN pattern
and moving this discussion to serial LAN only. Let the WAN
do it a different way, i.e., the method described above by
Piers.

Does this ensure interoperability??? SONET has issues with
this now, does this have anything to do with it?

This was developed quite a long time ago and nothing else
has come out so this is either good enough or everyone is
doing something proprietary.

How much margin is being added above this pattern value?
This pattern could be adequate given additional margin built
in above this.

Opinions from the silent majority:

  Perhaps we can still do a lot better than what is above.
  Let's work on putting our LAN pattern into a full SONET
  frame.

  Worried about the amount of logic required to be added to
  support this additional WAN pattern. There's no point in
  specing an unimplementable test - if a BERT doesn't exist
  to support the full, multiple SONET frames.

  The WAN test pattern generator should live in the WIS.

  The WAN test pattern generator should live in the best
  place, not necessarily any specific place without
  understanding more about it.

We have raised most of the issues around this topic, we
simply need more feedback from folks with WIS experience
to provide the "yea"s and "nay"s we need to come to a
conclusion.

The agenda for next week will be to once again review our
new list then continue through Jonathan's list and add
anything we think we're missing. Once we're comfortable
with our feature list, we can compare proposals to it.

Thanks to all for attending!

Next conference call is set for next week at the same time
and number:

CONFERENCE INFORMATION:
----------------------

  *  Conference Status:  *** NEW ***
  *  Start Date:  04/17/01 TUE
  *  End Date:  STANDING
  *  Start Time:  01:00 PM EDT
  *  End Time:   2:30 PM
  *  Duration:  001 hr 30 min
  *  Conference Host:  BENJAMIN BROWN
  *  Conference Name:  SERIAL JITTER TEST PATTERN
  *  Conference Arranger:  BENJAMIN BROWN
  *  Arranger Phone Number:  (603)641-9837

PARTICIPANT INFORMATION:

All Participants should use the following information to reach the conference call:
  *  PARTICIPANT CODE:  221497
  *  Toll Free Dial In Number:  (800)851-1769
  *  International Access/Caller Paid Dial In Number:  (775)324-0362

Call ended at 2:34 EDT