RE: SJTP: Minutes from today's call

Tom,

Good questions all. I will give them a try and hope to accurately represent
the opinion of the group at large (based on jitter and test pattern ad hoc
meetings and other PMD discussions). If I am off base, I am confident that I
will get some help :-)

Please see below.

jonathan

This is absolutely true. But, I think you understand that the PMA/PMD cannot
be effectively compliance tested without the PCS/WIS.

> - the PMA/PMD are common between LAN and WAN PHY;
> - if A1/A2 sequences are indeed more stressful, why is it not
> being used in the LAN test pattern as well?

This is a cost statement. A number of our membership is unwilling to
consider forcing the additional expense on the /R type PHYs.

> I don't see
> anything in the standard that would allow an implementer to
> relax PMA/PMD parameters when a LAN-only PHY is being created;

You are very observant. The specification is written under the assumption
that the optical specifications will in fact remain the same (sans the
variation in nominal clock). But, (continued below)...

> - therefore, I don't understand why we should have different
> test patterns for LAN and WAN cases.

...the reason for the different test patterns is precisely to ensure that we
can have common specifications for the PMA and PMD. The base assumption is
that we MUST assure interoperability. Add to this the optimal
cost/requirements assumption from above, and you end up with one of three
scenarios.
1. The patterns used to test the LAN and WAN PHYs are the same and the
jitter specifications are different
or
2. The patterns used to test the LAN and WAN PHYs are different and the
jitter specifications are the same
or
3. Both the patterns and the jitter specifications are different.

Thus far, the PHY vendors have shown strong preference for #2.

> Further:
> - the WAN-PHY has a bypass mode specified, whereby the output
> of the 64B/66B PCS can be directly passed to the XSBI;
> - therefore, if a common test pattern can be created and
> specified in Clause 49, and allowed to be operative in both
> LAN-PHY and WAN-PHY (bypass) modes, no further changes to the
> spec are needed;

Partially true. If we did this, we would need (caution, this is my opinion)
to change the specification(s) of the PMD (at least for the /W). Given the
way we normally design the Ethernet specifications, we would end up adding
considerable "margin" to the /W PMD specifications to ensure
interoperability (the less we know the greater the margin; we don't know
very much, therefore...). This would be due to the inability to "know" the
relationship between the system tested under one set of conditions and
operated under a different set of conditions across a variety of
implementations.

> - it would be preferable if this test pattern included
> stressful conditions such as A1/A2 sequences, for both LAN
> and WAN cases;

Unlikely to fly in the committee (it's that 75% thing :-)

> - therefore, I would prefer to see option #3 of your e-mail
> adopted, possibly with modifications to the pattern as
> mentioned, as this seems to result in the lowest compliance
> overhead for implementers while still preserving the notion
> of an integral jitter test facility in the PHY.

Like all the other choices, this one has its caveats. It is not obvious that
(at least at this point in time) we know how to create the specifications
for a pattern/PMA/PMD combination that does not have the A1/A2 and still
stresses the PHY the way the normal SONET frame will.

> An informative note referencing the ITU jitter test pattern
> might be of use to implementers. However, I would not be in
> favor of making this mandatory (thus creating two and
> possibly three different test patterns within 10G Ethernet);
> in this case, though, as we're going to specify a jitter test
> pattern anyway, a reference to the ITU pattern might only
> serve to confuse people.

Good point.