Re: SJTP: Minutes from 08-May meeting

While it is easy to charaterize a laser using DC current, an Ethernet box is
currently not capable of transmitting DC and therefore requires a different test
signal if this measurement is to be made after the laser is in a system.  When
testing at the system level, it is desireable to make as many of the
measurements as possible with the fewest number of test signals since the
Ethernet equipment rather than the test equipment must generate the test
patterns.  The jitter pattern group is trying to minimize the number of test
patterns and is currently proposing only two ( the randomlike jitter pattern and
a square wave). If the encircled flux measurement "can" be made under modulation
it simplifies the standard.  It also stands to reason that a modulated
measurement would be a more accurate indicator of link perfromance but I don't
know if data exists to support this.