RE: SJTP:Phantom sync headers

Don,

Have a good weekend.

I wasn't missing the inversion. My thought was that if one only needs to get
sync at one point in the repeating pattern. After that point, timers can
load the seeds. So, one can look for the value expected in the scrambler
just before the load of Seed A. Then one can load Seed A Invert, Seed B, and
Seed B Invert based on counters from that point. It minimizes the cost of
doing the compare if it only has to be done for one value. Not that it takes
that much to do a compare to a value and its inversion - if all the AND
gates in the comparitor output 0, you have the inversion; if they all output
1, you have the value. But I wasn't going to compare for the second seed
either.

Thinking about it, one could search for the data pattern that occurs right
after the seed load. That would be simpler to calculate from the seed.

Another reason I like the 4-errors method is it doesn't require a sync
protocol while the pattern match and count method does. Does one always load
the seed and restart the counters when one sees the expected pattern
(allowing the sync to slip temporarily to the wrong place if a bit error
causes a slip) or do we get fancier and specify that one has to see an
unexpected pattern a number of times or an error after a load a number of
times before slipping the sync? It isn't necessarily a lot of gates in the
end, but it seems excessive for the purpose.

Also, if one does the pattern match and count method, one has to check the
patterns to ensure that the search value only occurs once. I'm pretty sure
that with constant data pattern into the scrambler, the scrambler output
will only reoccur if the chosen segments cover an overlapping sections of
the full scrambler cycle, but it just adds a bit of pain to the seed
selection process.

So overall, I lean to the 4-errors method.

Regards,
Pat