Re: SJTP: WIS Pointer Processor

Tim,

For the LAN pattern, we chose to use a particular starting point
for the scrambler in order to guarantee that over the very long
scrambler pattern we could select the appropriate, very small
subset.

For the WAN pattern, this is not the case. Your proposal already
suggests we're using 29% of the total PRBS but we're complicating
the process by starting the PRBS at a defined location on every
other SONET frame.

I'm being told by AMCC internal sources that BERTs exist which
are able to synchronize to the SONET frame then synchronize to
a PRBS within the payload area of that frame. If this is the
case, why can't we simply let the PRBS run from any known
starting location? It would simplify the generation of the
payload in regards to timing it to the SONET frame. It would
also no longer require ignoring a group of errors at the start
of every other frame.

Thanks,
Ben

--