[802.3ae_Serial] MIME-Version: 1.0

Mike,

Your ability to draw in ASCII has always been very impressive. This is
one of your best yet, and clearly illustrates your points. Thanks.

The latest XAUI jitter values have changed a bit from your example.
Jitter ouput at the end of the channel can now be 0.47 UI DJ and 0.65 UI
TJ. 0.10 UI of those is due to "other", which I am willing to assume to
be mean-centered; for tolerance testing, that 0.1 UI is done with SJ,
which is definitely mean-centered. So, to relate to your response below,
the relevant values should be 0.37 UI DJ and 0.65 UI TJ.

  DJ/2+TJ/2=0.51

I am not going to push the DJ/2 factor too hard - it's a limit from
which we may want to back off a little for this discussion. However, in
any case, we probably still get to a value that is not far from 0.50,
and that concerns me. I always thought CDRs needed approx 0.3 UI pk-pk
to cover those items.

So, 2 questions to CDR folks (including you, Mike) are:
1. How much room is needed for Rx sampling uncertainty/noise and offet?
2. Offset from what - is the normal sampling point typically biased 0.5
UI from the means (or medians) of the crossings?

To the latter, Mike's points about finite sensitivity and rise/fall
times make sense, and I can see where they will create an offset from
the bias point. I agree with Mike that this should help, but it also
seems somewhat orthogonal to the jitter/pdf questions.

Thanks, Tom

Tom Lindsay
Stratos Lightwave
425/672-8005